Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Been There Made That

I've been bored.  Yeah I know what you are thinking - four kids, dog, job, house to decorate how on earth can you be BORED?  It's not the "lack of things to do around the house" kind of bored, its the "want to be creative within the time frame/space I have" kind of bored.  So I have been wasting time playing around with some of the stuff that I have been pinning over the last couple of years and actually **gasp** doing some of the projects I have found.  Here are a couple that actually turned out respectably.

You can see my pin boards here: http://pinterest.com/aremid411/

I learned to knit (needed something creative I could do in the car between appointments while I am listening to an audiobook in the parking lot of a Walmart) and I'm learning crochet much more slowly than I picked up the knitting.

Project #1 Tea/Coffee Cozy
Original Pin
http://pinterest.com/pin/249316529343424537/


I saw these cute little tea/coffee cozies and thought that would make a perfect beginner type project to test out my knitting ability.  I haven't gotten as fancy with the edges (yet) and it didn't take long to complete one I have some design ideas to improve the next ones but I think it turned out pretty OK.



$0 used leftover yarn and a button from my stash!


Project #2 Tea Dyed coffee filters/wreath
Original Pin(s)
http://pinterest.com/pin/249316529343355727/
http://pinterest.com/pin/249316529343623519/

I fell in Loooove with the look of the tea dyed coffee filters they just looked so sweet and romantic.  And I loved too the idea of using the leftover yarn I had from Christmas stockings so I got to play one night, I brewed a cup of tea and poured some reinker dye into a small dish and started messing around with the coffee filters, my favorites were dipped and then sprayed with Shimmer Mist.  Then I hot glued the yarn balls and attached to a dollar store stick wreath and here is how it turned out.


Project #3 - Canvas/Subway Art
Original Post: 
http://pinterest.com/pin/249316529343413749/

So we have this bathroom...it's orange...I mean - it's seriously tangerine orange. It was orange when we bought the house and my husband has decided that he likes the orange bathroom.  The one that every visitor to our house uses - is orange.  When my mother in law came into town from Colorado, she encouraged hubby's delusion that an orange bathroom is acceptable if we blew up some pictures from our honeymoon and did a tropical theme.  At this point I still don't agree but no amount of pouting, begging and cajoling would melt the orange from the walls :(  So I surrender, put a basket of shells in a basket, blow up some sunset in Key West photos and made this to go on the big blank, tangerine/coral/peach wall.



I have two more drying to put up in the basement and the letters on that one turned out better, but this one is on the wall already :)

More "Pinny" projects to come :)

No comments: