Monday, July 9, 2012

A Change for the Better

I think that I have always known that the way that I live my life was ultimately poisoning me.  I have smoked, drank, eaten poorly, watched too much TV and not moved my body enough at various points in my life.  Looking back, I can see that the times when I have been happiest have been the times when I have treated myself the best. So now here I am, facing demons again.

Being a road warrior is awesome - flexible scheduling, getting to meet new people in new places all the time.   But it has its drawbacks.  Like having to grab quick meals on the road...usually resorting in choices between Casey's pizza, McDonalds or Subway.  Some choices are better than others but all were slowly seeping into my system.  Making me feel fat, lethargic and lazy.  Behind the wheel is not the best way to have an exercise and activity filled lifestyle either.  So I know that I have to make a change.  One for real and one for good.

It all started with a documentary - something that I picked up just on a whim and from recommendations from friends and family.  Forks over Knives.  And while I am more skeptical than to buy into all of the claims of health and happiness it puts forward, it did sprout a seed that I had planted in my brain long ago.  Natural is better.  Not rocket science and so simple that it makes me feel dumb not to have caught on long ago.  So I did my research.  Everyone from Dr. Oz to the CDC and many stops in between and I made some decisions.

Chemicals are killing me.  Sugar, caffeine, Artificial sweeteners, nicotine, processed foods.  It was all making me tired and heavy.  Last year when I did the HCG program I felt amazing.  Truly great.  Even just eating 500 calories a day I felt great because I was eating good healthy foods, lean proteins, fresh vegetables and fruits.  Over the past year, however, I have slipped back into old habits, put on an appalling 30 pounds over the day I got married and my energy level has plummeted.  So no more chemicals.  Sounds easy right?  uh huh.  Easy until you go without your morning coffee, without your diet soda or sugar laden cereals or breakfast bars.  Easy until your kids beg you to go to McDonalds where even the french fries have sugar in them.  Easy until you realize you live in Newton and there is no whole foods markets within an hour radius of my house.

Not easy.  But hopefully worth it.  Today is day two - low dairy - vegetable base - organic.  I'm exhausted and my head hurts but I can feel the toxins leaving my body.  Without getting graphic, bathroom times have been much easier.  From the research I've done, this is normal, getting my body back to basics.  By next weekend I should be feeling better and then I get to add in moderate exercise.  Stay tuned for more updates!

No comments: